The Infinity Fab Lab is a community resource that is made available to all the students and faculty of the University of Florida. As a member of the Lab, you take on the responsibility of preserving and maintaining this resource for your fellow students and colleagues. It is in that spirit of mutual respect that we ask all members of the Lab to follow this code of conduct while working in the Lab. Thanks for reading, and if any of the rules are unclear, please do not hesitate to contact us for clarification.
Violation of these rules may result in fines, revocation of lab privileges, and other penalties!
- No sharing accounts – do not use someone else's access card to enter the lab, do not use someone else's Gatorlink credentials to log in to the lab workstations. Do not give your card or credentials to someone else to access the lab room or its workstations.
- Under no circumstances is it acceptable to leave a laser cutter unattended while it is cutting. If you must leave the laser cutter in the middle of a job, you must first pause the job. You may resume the job when you return.
- You may reserve and/or operate no more than one laser at a time.
- Laser reservations must be made at least 6 hours in advance of the start of the reservation time.
- Cancellations of laser reservations must be made at least 6 hours in advance of the start of the reservation time.
- You may reserve a laser for no more than two hours per day.
- You may use a free laser without a reservation, but those who have reserved have priority. If someone with a reservation needs to use the laser cutter you are using, and you do not have a reservation, you must promptly log off and clean up.
- You must clean the lens and focus the laser before beginning your cuts.
- Once you are finished cutting, you must clean the area around the laser cutter of any debris using the available shopvacs.
- When you are done with a lab workstation computer, you must log out. Do not leave a logged in workstation unattended!
- You must be completely logged off and done cleaning at the end of your reserved time. It is not respectful of your fellow lab users to take up their reserved time with your cleaning responsibilities.
- Do not cut: Styrene, foamboard, fresh wood, reflective materials, metal, glass, stone, ceramic, Lexan (polycarbonate), vinyl, trace paper. Do not cut multiple sheets of material at once.
- Do cut: Basswood, plywood, acrylic plexiglass, matteboard, paper, plaster, chocolate, masonite, cermark, anodized aluminum
- If the material you want to cut is not on either of the above lists, or you are not sure what your material is, you must ask before cutting.